Re: Is My Copy Bad?

> Yes I am trying to install Debian from a CDROM and booting from this. I
> am trying to install on a p-133, 32-meg 16xCDROM, IDE hard drive and
> CDROM boot enabled. The installer runs fine, I mount the root partition
> and so on.
>
> Then I get to the problem step "Install Operating System Kernel and
> Modules". First time round I selected (Install from CDROM - at /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb. It's the problem.

I saw lots of people having the same problem, and the cause was HD and
CD-ROM on the same IDE.

You must open your computer, attach (only) the CD-ROM on the secondary
IDE, and use /dev/hdd instead. If the computer's firmware is so old that
it doesn't recognize one slave device without master on the secondary
IDE, you must change your CD-ROM's jumper to set the CD-ROM drive as
master (/dev/hdc).

It _will_ solve your problem.

Taupter