Re: /etc/rc?.d directories missing on potato install

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 03:25:33PM -0500, Jameson Burt wrote:
> Last week I installed potato on a new computer.
> Before the first reboot, I selected one of the category of packages.
> After the first reboot, install let me select more packages, but exited
> prematurely.  One possible reason would be that /var was limited to the
> size of /, 128MB, so apt-get may have crashed trying to pull down 700MB
> into 128MB of space [I had 10GB of space on /usr/local, which I later
> linked /var/cache into].

Bad juju that lack of disk space!

> I reinstalled sysvinit to get the /etc/rc?.d directories;
> however, reinstalling other packages like "apache" are not
> creating the links from /etc/rc?.d into /etc/init.d .
> I could make the links myself, but they have a certain number sequence,
> so I had best let the Debian installation create this links.

The first thing that comes to mind, is you have at least one link to the
packages in question in one of the /etc/rc?.d directories. The
update-rc.d won't muck with your links unless there are none.  This way,
every time you do an upgrade, your links don't get screwed with.  If you
want the defaults do "update-rc.d -f <package> remove ; update-rc.d
<package> defaults".  That should do the trick.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |