glibc-compat ???

Hi all,

I'm reposting this question because I didn't get any answer recently.
Maybe this has been discussed before but I haven't been able to dig it up
from the mailing list archives or dejanews.

I'm using several machines, some with potato, some with woody.  I need to
install a free (as in gratis, not speech) F compiler, which needs glibc2.0
and won't work with glibc2.1.  Other people with Suse or RedHat have
reported the same problem, and they have fixed it installing
"compatibility" packages containing glibc2.0. To be exact, they mention
installing the compat-glibc-5.2-2.0.7.1 rpm and adding a
-L/usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib to the end of the compile line.

It seems we don't have such "compatibility" packages for Debian; what am I
missing?  Could one install slink's glibc2.0 in a non-obstrusive way under
potato or woody?

FWIW, the error messages are of this type:
  /usr/local/lib/F/libf90.a(open.o): In function `__NAGf90_open':
  open.o(.text+0xc77): undefined reference to `_fxstat'

TIA,

Jose