outdated packages

there are several packages included in debian archives that are outdated.
instead of installing the outdated ones, in some cases are useless to me,
i want to compile an updated copy of the source.  i'm trying to figure out
how i can compile this source, and let dpkg/dselect know that they've been
installed.  my first problem was alsa.  i had to compile and updated copy
of alsa.  Esound needs to be installed with support with alsa, but dpkg
doesn't know that alsa has been installed, causing an irritating chain of
dependencies and problems.  does anyone know how to fix this?  i'm sure
this has been answered before, but i couldn't find it anywhere in the
archives.  and please reply to this address, as i am not currently
subscribed to the mailing list.  thank you.  jerry jaskierny