bootloaders and fips alternative

Greetings yet again Dusers,
I have been asked by our Physics Dept. to carve up a win box and install
the one true OS on it. I recall reading a while ago that there was an up
and comming nice replacement (functionally) to fips. Unfotunately I
don't recall the name off hand. Any body know what I am talking about?

Also I wanted to put together a nice boot interface so as not to scare
off the uninitiated. I was hoping for something with pretty grahics and
nice verbose dialogue. I know that I can get lilo to do the job, but...

By the way does anyone know if the new lilo that can handle really large
drives is in potato, or if it is going to make it into potato?

TTFN and TIA

--
Frisco Rose             "By any other name, I would smell the same"
E.O.U. Student          rosef@eou.edu (541) 962-2987

Science Journal Ed.     scijou@scijou.eou.edu
EOU Hoke Center 307     (541) 962-3787
La Grande, OR. 97850