Re: Large Hard Drive Problems, HELP!

hi Brian

> I know there is/was a problem with large hard drives. I am using the
> Asus P5A motherboard, with its on board IDE controllers. I have each
> drive as master on the two controllers.

I had similar problems with the very same mb. For some reason the way this
BIOS tells the size of the drives capacity is not understood by the kernel
(atleast that is what I think:). But fortunately it is possible to force
the drive head/cylinder layout upon the kernel.

At the lilo boot prompt do something like:

   linux hda=1826,25,63 hdc=1826,255,63

or use the append facility of the lili.conf like

   append="hda=1826,255,63 hdc=1826,255,63"

Ofcourse to make it work for you you have to correct the drive letters
and the cylinder/heads/sectors numbers according to your situation.

PS: only one append line is honoured in lilo.conf!

--
groetjes, carel