How to Find Cause of System Hanging

I recently upgraded by web server to Potato with kernel 2.2.14 patched
for RAID-1 (adding Adaptec 2940U2W and matching SCSI drives) and the
system now hangs momentarily (1-5 minutes) several times a day. It
doesn't crash and it responds to a few basic requests ('ls' for example)
but nothing else (not even 'ls -l') for several minutes. Then, it
proceeds to fill the request. I've looked through the dmesg, system and
kernel logs and have found nothing out of the ordinary. I've tried
kernels from 2.2.10 to 2.2.14 with similar results.

Any suggestions on how to find where the problem is?

Thanks,

Jeff Hill
------  HR On-Line:  The Network for Workplace Issues ------
http://www.hronline.com - Ph:416-604-7251 - Fax:416-604-4708