Re: debian-user-digest Digest V100 #475

Jonathan Markevich <jmarkevich@mad.scientist.com> wrote:
> > and why depmod makes such weird things ...
> > run "rm /lib/modules/2.0.36/modules.dep" - possibly it's write-protected
> > or such thing.
>
> I did that and it puts back the weird one.  Correction: it IS stamped 5
> hours older than whenever it is created (boot).  I am at GMT -500 but this
> seems backward for me...  What's up???  I *have* to mark it read-only
> (immutable) to avoid the errors!

This may or may not solve your problem, but something similar happened
to me a while ago.  It turned out I had edited the files in
/etc/modutils with vi.  I have vi configured to save backups of
edited.  The backups are saved with a '~' tacked on to the filename,
e.g. foo~.  I forgot to remove the backups before running 'update-modules'
and then 'depmod -a'.  The result was a lot of unresolved symbol
errors when things had previously worked.

HTH ... bob, definitely not a Debian genius :)
--
        bob billson       email: bob@goleader.com       ham: kc2wz