Re: XF86Config per user?

I'm having a related problem: I can change my resolution, but my desktop doesn't adjust.
The setup:
Running potato with latests debs, SVGA server (Matrox G200)
I originally configured X with 1152x? as the default resolution.
I am running GNOME and have tried various window managers (enlightenment, afterstep, sawmill). If I lower the resolution to 1024 x 768, I get a virtual desktop which is still the old size--in other words, there's always a portion of it which is off-screen. Very annoying. I have even tried editing XF86Config to put my preferred mode first and rebooting, but it doesn't help. The virtual desktop options seem to be in units of screens, not pixels; I have set it for 1x1 screens.

This is weird: the fact that the desktop scrolls means that somebody "knows" the real size of my screen. But I can't get it to use that size all the way through.

Also, xvidtune doesn't produce a very good fit for my card/screen. At 1024x768 I get a jump from an image significantly smaller than the video screen (ie. lots of dark area on the border) to one which is too large. I have entered the exact specs for my monitor, and the exact model of the card.

Any suggestions?