Re: Frozen, rsync

arodriguez@worldnet.att.net (Antonio Rodriguez) wrote:
>Colin Watson wrote:
>> arodriguez@worldnet.att.net (Antonio Rodriguez) wrote:
>> >The reason is that I plan to prepare my own CDs next time, so I
>> >thought could be a good idea to start collecting packages so that when I
>> >run the rsync it can get most from my hard disk storage. I wonder how
>> >usable will the slink Cds be for that purpose.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand this last bit ...
>
>What I meant was: Perhaps part of the code from the slink packages is
>used in the code for the new packages, hence could (???) be used by the
>rsync program when it is run. I have no idea if it is possible. I
>noticed that, for example, xcdroast is about the same version.

In an ideal world ...

Unfortunately, it doesn't really work like that. If you were compiling
everything from source then you might be able to take advantage of
common code (though only if rsync can see inside .tar.gz files, which I
rather doubt somehow).

However, I suspect you're collecting binary packages. In that case then
the fact that most packages will have been recompiled for glibc2.1
between slink and potato, and that rsync won't be able to deal with
those differences efficiently either, will clobber you too.

In a few cases you'll get lucky: xcdroast, as you mention, is the same
version in both distributions, so you won't need to download it again.
But by and large I'm afraid you'll just have to do the full downloads.

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]