Re: Networking

> > > I guess my real question is, can I do a connect like this:
> > >
> > >  inet ----> hub ---> box1
> > >              +-----> box2
>
> > "of course" you cannot do so, because the second box would need a
> > separate global ip.
>
> Yes, you can do so, as long as you tell box2 to route its traffic through
> box1. You did know that the gateway is a wholly logical and not physical
> connection, didn't you? If it's possible to give Box2 a global IP, then do
> it. Conversely, box2 can have an internal IP, but that doesn't mean that
> it needs to be directly physically connected to box1.

yes, you're perfectly right, but it would not work in my student's
dormitory, because our hubs lockup when they detect a unregistered
mac-address. also, it may run into conflict with other computers
configured that way.
well, these are configuration-specific questions ...

> > >  inet ---> box1 ---> hub ---> box2
>
> > this is the right one, but you don't need the hub - a crossed tp-cable
> > would do it, too.
>
> ...unless you want to add more boxes at any point.

yes, but nobody mentioned more then one host to masquerade.

> > > And, if I do that second setup, won't I need two NIC's on box1, one
> > > ingoing & one outgoing?
>
> > you need two nics.
>
> ...for setup2; not setup1. You can assign multiple IPs to 1 NIC.

as stated obove ...

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.