starting x

hello,

i am slowly coming along in terms of setting up x.
i have gotten past the grey screen w/ an x in the middle, to a purple one with icons in the corner, one w/ a blk/wht moon. another w/ a computer, and another with some kind of graph.  As well as an icon in the other corner.

my mouse doesn't move and the tab keys don't do anything either.  My pointer just sits in the middle of the screen.
dmesg reads:
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
i am using the /dev/ttyS01 during config. my systems says
ttyS01 at ........

do u think it could be the mouse? Using S3 (86C325) driver and XF86-SVGA server
colors look ok

any ideas would be appreciated.....thankx again debianlist

beavis (butthead says hi!)