Re: no such device as /dev/lpt1

Quoting Kent West (westk@acu.edu):

> Thanks Jim, for the response. That helps clear up a couple of things. So
> now, when I do an "insmod lp", I get this:
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol
> parport_ieee1284_nibble_mode_ok
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol parport_unregister_device
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol parport_enumerate
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol parport_claim_or_block
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol parport_register_device
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol parport_wait_peripheral
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol parport_release
>
> Just for kicks, I just now did another "make modules" and "make
> modules_install", but it didn't help. Maybe I'll get another clue from
> someone else pretty soon. Again, thanks!

Either use modprobe lp, which will consult modules.dep for you,
or insmod parport and then insmod lp. (I think you compiled
parport.o OK.)

For info, 2.2 kernels assign lp0, 1, dynamically to ports that are
found; 2.0 kernels assigned them statically, and lp1 was 0x378
merely because lp0 was 0x3bc (who's got one of those?).

Cheers,