no such device as /dev/lpt1

Hi all!

When I first set up my Debian box, and whenever
I've recompiled/upgraded/etc, I've left the
support for parallel ports out, because I didn't
have a printer.

Now I have a printer.

I turned on the parallel port in CMOS (standard
irq/io settings). I recompiled my kernel (using
"make menuconfig"), and set the following:
 Under "Loadable Module Support", I set *'d
"Enable loadable module support" and "Kernel
module loader".
 Under "General Setup, I M'd "Parallel Port
support" and "PC-Style hardware".
 Under "Plug and Play Support", I left the "Plug
and Play" support blank (I only have PCI devices).

 Under "Block Devices", I only saw one reference
to the parallel port, and it referred to
IDE support, which didn't sound like anything
I needed, so I left it blank.
 Under "Network Device Support", I left "PLIP..."
blank, as I don't believe I need it.
 Under "Character Devices", I M'd "Parallel
Printer Support" and *'d "Support IEEE1284 status
readback".

I then did a "make dep", then a "make clean", then
a "make bzImage", then "make modules", then "make
modules_install", then I copied the bzImage to
/boot. Since the new kernel image is named the
same as the old kernel image, I may not have
re-run LILO. Did I need to?

I've got my printcap pointing to /dev/lp0. This is
one question I have; it seems that when I started
with Linux, /dev/lp0 referred to what would be
lpt1 in the DOS/Windows world, but that it has
changed since then so that /dev/lp1 refers to
DOS's lpt1. True or not?

(BTW, my kernel is 2.2.14, and my system is mostly
(entirely maybe?) a potato system.)

On reboot, when I try to print something to the
printer (I believe my printcap is set up properly)
using "lp Notes" (Notes is a plain text file), and
then do an "lpq", I get:
Printer: lp@westek  'HP LaserJet III'
 Queue: 1 printable job
 Server: pid 2026 active
 Unspooler: pid 2033 active
device', attempt 2, sleeping 20 at 18:17:36.195
 Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job
Files                 Size Time
active(attempt-2) westk@westek+25   A    25
Notes                 9619 18:16:55

When I do an "lsmod", I get
Module                  Size  Used by
vmnet                  16160   2
vmmon                  17664   1
es1371                 22656   0  (unused)
soundcore               2340   4  [es1371]
3c59x                  18304   1
smbfs                  25360   0  (unused)

When I do a "ls -l /dev/lp*", I get:
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   0 Mar  3
1999 /dev/lp0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   1 Mar  3
1999 /dev/lp1
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   2 Mar  3
1999 /dev/lp2

When I do a "cat /proc/devices", I get:
Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty
  3 ttyp
  4 ttyS
  5 cua
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 14 sound
119 vmnet
128 ptm
136 pts

Block devices:
  2 fd
  3 ide0
 22 ide1

(What's "vcs" on # 7? Does this refer to IRQ7? If
so, are the numbers above 15 virtual IRQs or
something?)

An "insmod lp0" gives me a "no module by that name
found".
Same for "insmod lp1".

However, an "insmod lp" gives:
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol
parport_ieee1284_nibble_mode_ok
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol
parport_unregister_device
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol
parport_enumerate
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol
parport_claim_or_block
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol
parport_register_device
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol
parport_wait_peripheral
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: unresolved symbol
parport_release

A "modprobe lp" gives:
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: invalid parameter
parm_io
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/lp.o: insmod lp failed

I'm without clue. I apparently don't know how to
get my parallel port working. Can anyone give me
any help here?

For some reason I've been bumped from the list,
and can't seem to get resubscribed, so please CC
me.

Thanks!