Re: Can a machine with a private class B IP (172.17.120.5) establish a ssh connection with a machine with legal IP ?

Hello

Well... I'm not quite an expert about this, but I'd say you either
need NAT (network address translation) enabled on your firewalling
machine, so your address is masqueraded to the outside. Ssh connects
from your machine to the outside would work fine then, but nobody from
outside could connect to you... or you might consider setting up an
http tunnel through your proxy, although I ain't got no idea how this
would work. I'd expect you'd also need the remote system to set up
facilities to use this method, but don't ask me... I've never done it.

Richard