Can a machine with a private class B IP (172.17.120.5) establish a ssh connection with a machine with legal IP ?

I use a proxy server to connect to the Internet since I have a private class B
IP (172.17.120.5) and am behind a firewall and that way the net I am on is
configured. I have to use socks for passive ftp and telneting.
Recently the admin of www.linux.org.il, which is not found on the private net
I am connected to and does have a full Internet IP (192.116.202.69) has
suggested that the 2 machines will be connected with ssh. However when I tried
to connect I get:

[09:29:03 /tmp]$ socksify ssh -v www.linux.org.il
SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.2, protocol version 1.5.
Compiled with SSL.
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 1000 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to www.linux.org.il [192.116.202.69] port 22.
debug: Allocated local port 643.

And that is it. It keeps waiting and I had to ^C it.

The admin of the other machine says he can see in his logs attempts from my IP
(172.17.120.5) at the times I claim I have tried to establish the ssh
connection. He also says that contrary to his first suggestion, he now
believes that we can not get connected with ssh because I do not have an
Internet IP.

1) Are there ways for the 2 machines to get a ssh connection? Perhaps the
configuration of the other machine is not appropriate for the situation I have
described? Maybe a VPN or something similar will work?
2) Beside a full Internet IP are there things I could ask from the net admin
of the private network I am on in order to get this ssh connection to work?

I believe that it is worth mentioning that I can successfully socksify telnet
and successfully socksify passive ftp to the machine I want to establish the
ssh connection with (www.linux.org.il).
--
Shaul Karl		 		   shaulk@israsrv.net.il
	An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.