RE: freeing memory after gethostbyname()

On 15-Mar-2000 Evan Moore wrote:
> I am writting a small network deamon in c, and just dowloaded a copy of
> lclint, which told me that I have a memory leak, great I say, I look at
> the code and realize duh, how did i miss that of course i defined a
> variable hostinfo of type struct hostent then let gethostbyname fill it
> up. So i try to free hostinfo and it complains that it was not allocated
> by malloc. So how do I free this memory?

lclint while handy is not omniscient.  You can free() the memory, vut lclint
never sees it get alloc'ed.  So you fix an error and get a spurious warning.
Part of using any memory checker is knowing when to follow their advice and
when to say "I am the coder, I know what I am doing".