Voodoo3 at more than 8bpp?

Please cc me, I'm not subscribe to -user

Does anyone have a Voodoo3 card that they're running in 16bpp or 24bpp
mode?  I bought one yesterday and couldn't get X 3.3.6 to come up even
in 8bpp.  I get characters written all over the screen as though
something's not setting the card mode correctly.

XFree86 4.0 does work in 8bpp but again produces character dumps for
higer bpp.  It also produces a nice /red or green border on the
right-hand side of this image with resolutions > 1280x1024.

Any config snippets/tips/etc appreciated.  BTW, win9x has never been
near this card; is there some install step I missed?

--
Stephen

"And what do we burn apart from witches?"... "More witches!"