Files with *strange* permissions

Hi there,

I'm facing quite a bad problem here im my Linux Box, and I'd like to try
a bit more before I give up, format the HD and reinstall it all...

Last tuesday I had to shutdown Linux because I had to do some work on
Win98, unfortunately... The shutdown procedure worked fine, I worked all
afternoon on Win98 and shutdown the machine to go home...

Yesterday I came back and, to my surprise, when I tried to boot on Linux
the system halted with a "kernel panic: unable to mount root fs on
03:02" (I guess these were the numbers)...

Next thing I plugged my HD in another Linux box and ran "e2fsck -y" on
it... As I already expected, after complaining about a whole lot of
errors, when it exited I only had a /lost+found" dir, with lots of
subdirs and files in it...

Lucky enough, by browsing the subdirs I could rebuild the whole root dir
structure (it seems e2fsck only moved the complete root dirs to
/lost+found and renamed them with those numeric names - the whole subdir
tree inisde each of them was 100% preserved), and I was left with some
empty dirs and some "weird" files that seem to be "undeletable"...

When I tryed to boot, I doscovered the default boot image was corrupted
(crc error), but lucky enough the other images worked fine, so I just
booted from one of them and ran "lilo" again; then the computer booted
fine and everything worked perfectly!

Now, I'm left with one final problem... the files and dirs left on
/lost+found can't be chown'd, chmod'd or erased... all of them (except
for one) have the first permission bit (when doing "ls -a -l") either b,
c or s... also, some of them seem to have a HUGE size (like 4294967295
in 2 of them), but then when I select them on MidnightCommander it
recognizes a negative size... Also, some show invalid sizes, like (on
ls) "1,   7" or "164, 246" (with the spaces)... Also, all of them have a
name that starts with "#"...

Lastly, when I run e2fsck again it complains about

"fsck.ext2: Ext2 file too big while calling ext2fs_block_iterate in pass
1b"

and then finds two duplicate blocks (always on the same two pairs of
inodes)... If I try to run "e2fsck -c" it complains about the "file too
big" thing and aborts... I'm almost sure it is related to the
/lost+found files...

Now, how can I get rid of them? Is there a chance, or will I be forced
to format & install it all again?

TIA,

Guilherme Zahn