free zip utility, anyone?

Hans Ekbrand writes:
 > I have unsuccessfully searched some file archives for a free zip utility that would let me extract pkzip files. Is there such a thing, or is the zip algorithm patented or something?

Doesn't unzip work?

 InfoZIP's unzip program, packaged for Debian GNU/Linux. With the exception
 of multi-volume archives (ie, .ZIP files that are split across several
 disks using PKZIP's /& option), this can handle any file produced either
 by PKZIP, or the corresponding InfoZIP zip program."

--
Robb Aley Allan
rallan@helical.com	rallan@minskoff.com	allanr@acm.org