Re: home network: will bo play with potato?

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 09:18:44PM -0600, rich wrote:

> BTW, is it really even feasible to use a 486 to run X programs like
> wordperfect and Netscape off of my pentium?

i'm just throwing my $0.02 in here, because it seems like other posters
are missing something (of course, it could be just me).

It looks like you're planning on running the 486 as the X terminal, with
the X clients running on the pentium box and displaying on the 486.
In an example, something like this:

  i486$ ssh pentium -X
  Password: ********
  pentium$ echo $DISPLAY
  i486:10
  pentium$ netscape
  [ netscape comes up in i486's X server ]

i don't see why this wouldn't work well, since most of the processing is
on the pentium and there's presumably a fast LAN connecting the two.
Potato should work fine on the 486, and is probably more secure than bo
(i don't think old versions get security updates for long after a new
stable is released). But i'd skip installing emacs on it ;)

--
  finger for GPG public key.