Re: Fetchmail, sendmail... let's do a thread about mail!

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 05:10:49PM +0100, Ron Rademaker wrote:
> I got a few question concerning, you've probably guessed it already: mail!
> I've created a user email, every once in a while this user should use
> fetchmail to empty some mailboxes (somewhere on a distant server) and then
> use procmail to take it into some mailfolders. The mail should reach the
> right user... HOW?? (If there's a better way please tell me.....)
> I also got this little sendmail problem it won't send to other computers
> then those on the LAN, some dns things. I told sendmail to use dns and I don't have a smarthost,
> what else could it be?
>
> Ron

Hi,

I use fetchmail at the user level.  Each user runs fetchmail to get mail
from the distant ISP mail server.

Exim is a decent MTA.  Let it send mail around your system and to the
ISPs smtp server.  Obviously you need to have ppp/lan and your resolv.conf
working . . .  The following line in /etc/exim.conf will make it so all
the mail you fetch will go to the user's mailbox asap.  Otherwise, you
only get 10 mails now and the rest comes in a few minutes.
smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 0

Other MTAs are decent too.  No religious wars please!

--

Thank you,
Joe Bouchard