Re: mutt locale under Slink?

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 04:53:38PM +0200, Dominique L. Bouix wrote:
> I've been trying to get my mutt to display iso-8859-1 characters for 5 days
> now, and I'm not sure where to look anymore. It seems that the programs
> don't like LC_CTYPE set to something else than C. The system is running mutt
> 1.0.1i on Debian Slink/i386

put in /etc/environment
LANG="en_US"

and all should be rosy. I think the problem is your language environment
is defined as "C" == ASCII, but your characterset is iso-8859-1. I'd
leave the rest of the LC_ variables alone unless there's some compelling
reason to set them (LANG will force appropriate interpretations). One of
the man pages has a good discussion of these variables (I thought it was
locale, but it's very terse and doesn't mention LANG).

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |