mutt locale under Slink?

I've been trying to get my mutt to display iso-8859-1 characters for 5 days
now, and I'm not sure where to look anymore. It seems that the programs
don't like LC_CTYPE set to something else than C. The system is running mutt
1.0.1i on Debian Slink/i386

I read from some Mutt webpage that perl is pretty verbose regarding these
locale problems.. I've tried with LC_CTYPE set to fi_FI de iso_8859_1 en_US
finnish etc etc.. nothing seems to work with mutt

$ export LC_CTYPE=en_US
$ perl
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = "en_US",
        LANG = "C"

$ ls /usr/share/locale/|grep en
en
en_CA
en_DK
en_GB
en_IE
en_US

I'd be grateful if you could CC me the reply as I'm not on the list

kind regards,
Dominique L. Bouix