Re: installing SCSI HD

Hello zdrysdal@diagnostic.co.nz,

Hmm...  still not a lot to go on, but if that's the way it is, then
that's the way it is.  The diag messages that I'd like to see have to
come from software (drivers) and if the software was running and could
o/p msgs, then it should output some diag stuff about what's making it
unhappy.  As it isn't I'd guess it's because it can't, so this might be
a h/w problem.  Check the cabling and especially the termination.
Unless you're using a cable with a terminator on the end, you should
set termination on the drive using the jumpers - typically labled 'TE' -
but check the documentation.

z> Yes, this is the only SCSI device. The syslog contains nothing as it
z> crashes before it has time to write to it. All i can quess at this
z> moment is that the driver for it is not compatible or the Hewlett
z> Packard Bios is not very forgiving.
z>
z> Lee Elliott <LeeE@spatial.freeserve.co.uk> on 09/03/2000 12:44:00
z>
z> To:   Zane Drysdale/Diagnostic labs/64
z> cc:
z> Subject:  Re: installing SCSI HD
z>
z> Hello zdrysdal@diagnostic.co.nz,
z>
z> On 08-Mar-00, you wrote:
z>
z>> Hi
z>>
z>> i am having trouble installing an IBM DRHS SCSI disk onto my z>
z> slink-2.0.36 server. The adaptec scsi card is found ok but when linux
z>> starts to load it halts at : "Downloading sequence code : 419 z>
z> instructions downloaded. z>
z>>
z>> more info :
z>>
z>> SCSI adpatec adapter found at PCI 10/0 z> SCSI id:lun is 0:0
z>>
z>> thanx
z>>
z>> Zane
z>
z> Not enough info to go on. Is this the only SCSI HD?, on this
z> controller? What do you get in the syslog when booting, regarding
z> this controller?
z>
z> Bye,
z>