Q: ssh/ssh-nonfree, also xterm

Hi,

I have a potato/frozen system, on which I have the following
problems. Any help would be appreciated (please reply via mail in
addition to through the list).

1. If I install the current ssh (1:1.2.2), and try to ssh to <host> as a
regular user, I get the following error:
        You have no controlling tty.  Cannot read passphrase.
preventing me from accessing <host> at all.
However, as root, I can use ssh normally without problems.
Using -v, the last debug message as a regular user is:
        debug: Doing password authentication.

2. If I use ssh-nonfree (1.2.27-5), I can use ssh, but I get the
following warnings:
        % ssh <host>
        Agent parent directory is not sticky, mode is 40777 it should be 041777
        user@host's password:
        Cannot make temporary authentication socket directory /tmp/ssh-user-xxxxx
Again, as root these warnings do not appear.

3. Finally, if I try to use xterm as a regular user, I receive the error:
        xterm: Error 14, errno 13: Permission denied
(rxvt does not have this problem). Again, root has no problems.

TIA,