Re: g400 framebuffer-update

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 02:38:15AM -0500, Aaron Solochek wrote:
> Apparently, my g400max, with kernel 2.2.14, doesn't like videomodes over
> 8bit color.  The computer boots with whatever video mode I want, but
> will not sync if the color depth is greater than 8 bits.  I can drive
> the monitor at 1600x1200 no problem, also at 1024 I have it set to use
> 100mhz mode, also no problem.

there was some discussion on debian-powerpc about acceleration
problems with framebuffers (which are not optional on ppcs
unfortunatly) the problems were caused by running the system in color
depths higher then 8 bit.  the consensus however was that it was
pointless to use higher depths since the console does not have any
more colors.

> One quick question though, my cursor is currently a big (3x3 characters)
> black box.  How can I fix that?  Is is a hardware/software cursor
> issue?

i'd like to know too!

there are some examples for how to do that on the framebuffer howto,
unfortunatly none work on my ppc (rage128) framebuffer so it seems its
dependant on the driver/hardware...