Re: Automagic boots

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 09:35:41AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've set up a part-time server for our group.  Every morning at 7:30
> it automagically boots up and at 8:30 in the evening it shuts itself
> down.  Works like a charm, really, and is very `green'.  Not?

"Green" as in environmentally friendly?  Maybe, maybe not.  The evidence
I've seen is largely inconclusive.  Shut down your CRT (monitor) if
you're away from the machine for 20-60 minutes.  However, the nominal
power draw of CPU, memory, fan(s), and disk(s) is relatively low, and
the surge from repeated power cycling may cause more rapid part failures
-- with the ensuing manufacturing and distribution cost, energy.  On the
third hand, parts obsolescense being what it is, you're most likely
going to junk the unit before it wears out anyway.

Suggestion being that you set an appropriate dpms timeout for your
monitor and ignore the rest of the box's modest power draw, avoiding
your problem in the process.