Re: AGP S3 Trio 3D 8MB video card

Horacio MG <homega@ciberia.es> writes:
HMG> just installed this video card (AGP S3 Trio 3D 8MB) and tried to
HMG> configure it for the X environment, but I can't find the proper sever
HMG> for it.

HMG> Which XServer should I use for it?  If this Xfree version doesn't have
HMG> support for this cards, which xserver could I safely use until I
HMG> upgrade?

HMG> xfree86 3.3.2.3a-11

XFree86 didn't even start to support the S3 Trio3D until version
3.3.4, IIRC, and the "stable" X releases have only spotty support at
best.  (I've heard reports of the server refusing to work except at
very specific modelines, but my [PCI] Trio3D refused to work even
then.)  You can get either X source or binaries of the X server from
xfree86.org, or upgrade to the current Debian release-in-testing
("frozen"/"potato", which has XF86 3.3.6); use the XF86_SVGA server.

If you're feeling more adventurous, the latest beta of XFree86
(3.9.18) also supports the Trio3D, and it seems to work better than
just about anything else I've tried (performance beats XF86_FBDev, and
stability/workingness over other things).  You can get a snapshot
(source only), again from xfree86.org, but you'll need to build this
yourself (took me about a day on a P100).

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell