Re: logged boot sequence a la HP-UX

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 01:13:09PM -0500, Nick Cabatoff wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone knows of work being done to make sysvinit
> capable of logging the output of the rc scripts?  HP-UX does this very
> nicely, such that instead of seeing what the script writes on stdout
> you get a curses-style table of scripts and their results, e.g.
>
>   Starting NIS server ................ OK
>   Starting NFS server ................ *FAIL*
>
> I don't really think it's worth having as fancy a display as HP-UX
> does, since I wouldn't want my boot sequence to fail just because
> curses or slang or whatever broke, but you could get almost as nice a
> readout without.  And you could still have the script output written
> to rc.log, which is what I'm really looking for.

Take a look at recent (6.0?, 6.2) RedHat init sequences.  I believe they
do what you're looking for, even to the extent of color-coding "OK" as
green and "FAIL" as red.  Not sure of logging, though IIRC there was
some discussion of this at the RH site as well.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)

Scope out Scoop:  http://scoop.kuro5hin.org/
Nothin' rusty about Kuro5hin:  http://www.kuro5hin.org/