logged boot sequence a la HP-UX

I'm wondering if anyone knows of work being done to make sysvinit
capable of logging the output of the rc scripts?  HP-UX does this very
nicely, such that instead of seeing what the script writes on stdout
you get a curses-style table of scripts and their results, e.g.

  Starting NIS server ................ OK
  Starting NFS server ................ *FAIL*

I don't really think it's worth having as fancy a display as HP-UX
does, since I wouldn't want my boot sequence to fail just because
curses or slang or whatever broke, but you could get almost as nice a
readout without.  And you could still have the script output written
to rc.log, which is what I'm really looking for.