Adding more disk-space

Hi Debian-folks
Finally got Debian running on my old 486/100, using a WDC 2540 hd (540
Mb),
at hda (hda1).
/home is on an old Seagate 213 Mb (hdc).
Running out of space, I've installed another WDC 2540 on hdd (hdb is the
cd-rom).
After figuring out the way around the 1024 cyl-limit (thanks to the
Large-Disk-Howto), I've partitioned hdd with a linux-primary partition.
Now i have two questions:

Why does Linux only report 515 Mb, when the drive is supposedly 540 Mb?
(linux using 524/32/63, drive physically 1048/16/63)

Wanting to move  /usr to the new hd, how would I go about it?
I suppose I have to format(initialize?) and mount the drive, and then
copy /usr with everything "beneath" it to the new hd? (Which is
basically what I would have done back in the DOS-days...)

I've looked at the man-pages for cp, but can't quite make out how to
make it copy everything under  /usr. The list-archives doesn't really
give me much of a clue,
either, though I suppose it must be a fairly common problem.
Thanks for your patience with a *nix-newbie. I'm trying to learn, and
I'll happily
read any FM.
Best Regards
Vitux