Re: Configuration management

[I am not on this mailing list.  Please cc: me in replies.]

>  * CVS (the remote protocol) doesn't track file permissions,
>    ownership and symbolic links.

In ftp://ftp.pn.com/pub/bb/cvsmapfs you'll find a workaround:

#  Purpose:
#
#	It would be extremely useful to store an entire UNIX under
#	cvs.  However, the only thing cvs promises to restore at
#	checkout is the contents of files, not owners, groups, modes,
#	symlinks, or devices.  Cvsmapfs records this extra information
#	so you can restore it after a checkout, and then deletes
#	non-files and non-dirs so cvs won't choke on them.  It
#	restores empty directories that cvs 'optimized away'.  It
#	deals transparently with funny characters in filenames, and
#	warns you when they might cause cvs or rcs to misbehave.  It
#	puts hard links back, even when they aren't in the same
#	directory.

A member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) http://lpf.ai.mit.edu