Re: Remote Printing

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 mahdi@sa.ibm.com wrote:

     mahdi> Have you rebooted after making the setting?

Some two or three times I have rebooted the machine. That is the
normal course. It will not be running continuously.

     mahdi> Did you try redirection?
     mahdi> # cat /etc/fstab > /dev/laser

I do not have any device by name 'laser' under /dev. As user, I get
permission denied. As root, it creates a file by that name.

     mahdi> Whats the output of ps -ef on the remote machine?
     mahdi> are both the queue daemon and the lp daemon in the output?

SU:/home/mas# ps ef
  PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
  152   3 S    0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty3 HOME=/ TERM=linux BOOT_IMAGE=deb BOOT
  153   4 S    0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty4 HOME=/ TERM=linux BOOT_IMAGE=deb BOOT
  154   5 S    0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty5 HOME=/ TERM=linux BOOT_IMAGE=deb BOOT
  155   6 S    0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty6 HOME=/ TERM=linux BOOT_IMAGE=deb BOOT
  201   2 S    0:00 bash HZ=100 HOSTNAME=haralu PS1=\u@\h:\w$  teXsan=/home/mas/
  204   2 R    0:00  \_ ps ef HZ=100 HOSTNAME=haralu LS_OPTIONS=--color=auto -CF

Same on both the machines. I cannot find any daemons here.

     mahdi>
     mahdi> It is worth trying the same thing from the remote printer itself......
     mahdi> setting its local queue as a remote queue, then try printing ........
     mahdi> or better yet if you have a third Linux machine, so you can isolate the
     mahdi> source of the problem.

Will try them. I notice another strange thing. From the machine haralu I tried
lpr -Plj test.ps, where lj is the laser printer on another machine. I do
not get any output on the other machine. But, the local dot matrix starts
printing the ps file (literal, not interpreted). i cannot find this job using
lpq. I cd'ed to /var/spool/lpd. Did a ls -laR. Nothing anywhere. Where is
the print job coming from?

Thanks,

sridhar

Sridhar M.A.                            Powered by:
University of Mysore, Manasagangotri      Debian GNU/Linux 2.1
Mysore 570 006, INDIA