php3 does not support postgres?

	I know the subject is false: php3 DOES support Postgres.
	But in my (daily upgraded) potato it seems not to.
	A very simple call to pg_connect returns:

Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function pg_connect()
in functions.php3 on line 17

	In the apache configuration the following line is present:
LoadModule php3_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/libphp3.so
	No other references to PG or PHP modules are present.

	Does anybody have an idea of what to do to activate
	postgres functions in php3?

	Thanks,
	Alberto Maurizi