Problems with DHCPCD and/or pump

I installed the 'frozen' distribution onto my laptop last week, (as a
replacement for Slack).  Everything seems to work great except that my
network connection is flaky.  On bootup it randomly either gets starts the
dhcp client daemon or doesn't.  I have tried using both pump and dhcpcd and
get the same results.  I alsways see the "Starting dhcp client daemon:
dhcpcd." message, but sometimes the lights on the cable-modem flash (in
which case a 'ps ax' shows dhcpcd (or pump) running) and sometimes I don't.
When I log in as root, I and run '/etc/init.d/dhcpcd start' (or pump) the
dhcp client alwaysstarts up.  This is really driving me nuts (especially
since it is not easily reproducable).  Does anyone have any ideas?

The only two things I could think of were:
	the dhcp client is started immediately after the pcmcia driver (the
network operates through my pcmcia network card).  Could the card take some
time after cardmgr et al are brought up before it is ready to go?

	my /etc/networks/interfaces file has no entry for eth0 (the network
card)  should it?

Thanks,
Geoffrey Hausheer