Re: Can no-one help? Gnome has lost all but the basic icons on desktop

This is definately becoming a monlogue!!

Further to my problem of desktop icons missing from Gnome (gmc) I now
have a solution. I am surprised no-one pointed it out, but there again I
only tried it as a last resort.

I created a new user and found that this user had all the correct Gnome
icons on the desktop. This led me to suspect the configuration files in
my home directory. I removed ~/.gnome and ~/.gnome-desktop and logged in
as me.

I must say I was very pleased to see that I now had all my desktop icons
intact.

I think that upgrading from Storm Rain (=Slink) to Potato (and hence
upgrading to Potato Gnome apps and libs) caused the problem. I
understand it is part of Debian received wisdom that no file in ~/ is
tampered with during an install or upgrade. Is this so?

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000