Re: URGENT! Linux won't load

In <[🔎] 38C1AF7A.F3E898FB@mail1.facile.com>, on 03/04/00
   at 05:27 PM, Matheson <matheson@mail1.facile.com> said:

>I totally screwed up my friend's Linux.  I got the kernel source 2.2.1 and
>when I configured it I set the CPU as Pentium, but the computer is actually
>a 486.  Now Linux won't boot and I really don't want to reinstall.  _Please_
>help me.

Did you keep the old kernel as backup listed under LILO?  Do you have an (old
kernel) rescue disk? Can you boot off the CD (presuming you have that) and
redo a kernel, creating a boot floppy and new boot kernel (bypassing the rest
of the install)?

Assuming one of these routes gets you back into the system, go back and
reconfigure/recompile the kernel.

Kenward

Dr. Kenward Vaughan                       .'^~;,_
Professor of Chemistry                    ':,'~~~~~
Bakersfield College                       \;:/
1801 Panorama Drive                       |,;|
Bakersfield, CA  93305                   / ', \
661-395-4243                            / o  O \
kvaughan@bc.cc.ca.us  (work)           (oOoOOoOo)
kaynjay@igalaxy.net   (home)         ---========---