Re: X 3.3.6 (potato) + window manager

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 02:51:49PM +0100, Igor Mozetic wrote:

> It seems that latest X in potato has removed the support for
> /etc/X11/window-managers in Xsession.
> So how does one start fvwm95 automatically from xdm ??
>
> In documentation I found just the removal mentioned,
> but no alternative:
>
>   * debian/xfree86-common/Xsession:
>     - remove support for /etc/X11/window-managers; virtually every window
>       manager has migrated to the new alternatives method (Closes: #58224)

I believes they all moved to using the 'alternatives' setup. See
/etc/alternatives and man update-alternatives. Basically it's a tangled
web of symlinks allowing a bit of abstraction.

$ ls -l /etc/x-window-manager
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Mar  2 00:47 x-window-manager
-> /usr/X11R6/bin/icewm-gnome*

$ ls -l /usr/bin/x-window-manager
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           34 Jan  8 22:27 x-window-manager
-> /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager*

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |