Re: ppp: frame with bad fcs

fairfax@pclink.com wrote:

> "...something munging bytes on the way through," is what I assume.
>
> I can load the same pages on my Win95 laptop with no problem with the same ISP, so it appears to be Linux somehow that is doing this.
>
> Last night I recompiled the kernel (a potato system, I had been using the default 2.2.14 kernel), and this seems to have relieved the problem somewhat -- stuff downloads very slowly from the problem sites, but I don't get the timeouts that I was getting.  No error messages are now evident.

Maybe there aren't error messages but do an ifconfig on the interface and take a look at the error counts there. My guess is you're still getting the errors. You need to look closer at configuring your modem more likely than trying to do stuff with the software.

> Maybe I need to examine the packets that are getting sent over to me?

It would be good to know exactly what bytes are screwed up but this would be very difficult to ferret out. Probably not worth the time.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jens.jorgensen@tallan.com