Re: Update this morning killed local login

	I have what sounds like a the same problem as the original
author.  It looks like xfree86-common, kde, and kdebase (among
others) were updated when I ran apt-get this morning on my potato
box.  kdm now fails to start, because /etc/init.d/kdm can't find
/usr/sbin/parse-xf86config.  Was this utility moved to another package?
On a slink box, it looks like it was in xserver-common.

	The workaround I found is to disable the check in
/etc/X11/kdm/kdm.options by commenting out the check-local-xserver line.

	On a perhaps related note, xauth is complaining now, too.  When
I use ssh to login to localhost as root, I get:

/usr/bin/X11/xauth:  unable to open tmp file "/tmp/XauthWI1726-n"
/usr/bin/X11/xauth:  unable to write authority file /tmp/XauthWI1726-n

	...but:

# ls -l /tmp/XauthWI1726-n
-rw-------    1 root     root            0 Mar  2 10:41 /tmp/XauthWI1726-n

--
Tres Hofmeister <tres@rap.ucar.edu>      http://www.rap.ucar.edu/~tres/
Research Applications Program, National Center for Atmospheric Research