Re: Movie Player for .dat files?

Subject: Re: Movie Player for .dat files?

> that is normal when you do not have a modeline low enough. what mpegtv
> (and other fullscreen apps do) is get the closest resolution that is
> possible(defined in XF86Config) for full screen mode. some games won't
> even run if there isn't a 640x480 modeline.

Yes In XFree86_FBDev no modeswitching is possible without rebooting the
system since the calls to VIDEO BIOS does not support protected mode
inteface
for mode swtiching. The mode is decided  at boot time by the kernel, but
this
is only true for VESA frame buffer devices

> see
>
> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9911/msg01229.html
>
> for the message about my modelines, and the ones that work on my
> monitor. they may NOT work on yours, but it may be worth a try.

My monitor is an entry level 14 inch with 65MHz dot clock 30-55 kHz
Horizontal and
50-90 Hz vertical one.

> what video chipset is on your videocard?

    I have a SiS 6326 AGP 8MB card which although is detected by the
XServers(
both XFree86_SVGA and XFree86_FBDev) as 8MB, they  say that 'treating as
4MB card' . lspci utility lists 4MB prefetchable memory and 4MB nonprefetchable
memory at different addresses for the card. I think its Windows Driver is doing
some not in the book trick to use the 8MB on the board. Its manual says that
Maximum linear frame buffer memory possible is 4MB
    The card supports 175 MHz dot clock and 1024x768 @75Hz . I normally use
800x600@85HZ in Windows In Linux I have no control over the refresh rate since it
is decided by the Video BIOS. The fbset utility, part of the Frame Buffer kernel
support lists 72Hz refresh rate for 800x600 res.

Why is it that I can't size the display window?

    Although the player is good It still has lot grounds to cover. The media player
software which I got along with the card has many controls like  slow,search ,step backward
step foward etc

  What do you think about its capability on your SMP system? On my 400 MHz
 k6-2 32 MB
machine, the top utility shows about 50% of cpu usage.

    By the way despite SiS being an American Company why is it that SiS
cards
are not popular in USA? In India the SiS cards does have a very good market
for
entry level systems.

    What is the difference between .dat(VCD) files and MPEG(1,2) files.
Aren't the
.dat files using the MPEG compression?

> 7:06am up 194 days, 19:30, 2 users, load average: 1.02, 1.05, 1.13

 194 days of running without rebooting ?!! CONGRATULATIONS !!
    I have read somewhere in the docs that a 0.99 kernel machine had a
record of
600 days of continuous service. Is it still the highest?

previ