Re: Movie Player for .dat files?

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Chirag wrote:

mannan >Yes In XFree86_FBDev no modeswitching is possible without rebooting the
mannan >system since the calls to VIDEO BIOS does not support protected mode
mannan >inteface
mannan >for mode swtiching. The mode is decided  at boot time by the kernel, but
mannan >this
mannan >is only true for VESA frame buffer devices

ok, then the problem is that.. to run 'full screen' you have to run your X
in 320x240..(ugh) ..i suggest a new video card at this point i have used
many of those onboard SIS530(and other similar boards) and were very
dissapointed.  3dfx, and nvidia (TNT, riva etc) are quite cheap these
days(as low as say $40) it would be worth it to invest in a new card.

mannan >Why is it that I can't size the display window?

if you mean why can't you have the video color the full screen its because
the system cannot change modelines.

mannan >    Although the player is good It still has lot grounds to cover. The media player
mannan >software which I got along with the card has many controls like  slow,search ,step backward
mannan >step foward etc

that is least important to me, what i'd like is hardware
accelerated/assisted playback, as it is a full screen videocd runs
(slightly) slower on my dual celeron 466 with 256MB ram then my older
p200mmx 64MB did .. hardware accel/assist is comming soon though, ATI
released a developers kit to provide this on their cards..others will
follow i hope.

mannan >  What do you think about its capability on your SMP system? On my 400 MHz
mannan > k6-2 32 MB
mannan >machine, the top utility shows about 50% of cpu usage.

doing full screen it can easily take 120-130% of the cpu (100% of cpu1
20-30% of cpu2) but it depends what else is going on. this is not the
fault of Mpegtv though it's the lack of hardware assist driver level
support.

mannan >    By the way despite SiS being an American Company why is it that SiS
mannan >cards
mannan >are not popular in USA? In India the SiS cards does have a very good market
mannan >for
mannan >entry level systems.

SIS's main website i believe is in taiwan you sure they are an american
company? i never checked where they are from. they are indeed very popular
here among low end systems(Say $300 and less) but for any real work a
dedicated videocard is needed.  we work with a company that uses those
SIS530 boards in almost all their stuff, the boards with onboard
everything run about $60.  i really don't like em.

mannan >    What is the difference between .dat(VCD) files and MPEG(1,2) files.
mannan >Aren't the
mannan >.dat files using the MPEG compression?

in terms of compression they are exactly the same, however VCD is not
stored in an iso9660 file system(standard cdrom) but stored in another
format(code named whitebook or greenbook, i forgot what the official name
is)  whitebook has been the standard for a few years, and its about all
that is available now. greebook vcds are very unsupported, the only way i
could get one working was by using dos mode mscdex and win3.1.. win9x, NT,
linux do not support greenbook.

mannan >> 7:06am up 194 days, 19:30, 2 users, load average: 1.02, 1.05, 1.13
mannan >
mannan > 194 days of running without rebooting ?!! CONGRATULATIONS !!
mannan >    I have read somewhere in the docs that a 0.99 kernel machine had a
mannan >record of
mannan >600 days of continuous service. Is it still the highest?

yep 194 days :) my record. as for a world record there is a site out there
that keeps track of many system's uptimes.. at one time there was a linux
box that had about 700-800 days and some flavor of BSD that had about 1400
days..i forgot the name of the site tho.. there were quite a few NT and
netware machines i dont think any of them were even near 150 days.  i
remember reading an article about a company in israel(.il i can never
spell it)..they had some form of unix there, the machine was going for 3
years, the older admin had moved on, and it came time for a memory
upgrade, they upgraded the machine, but it no longer booted, turns out the
startup scripts were not up-to-date and it took em a couple days to fix
it..doh!  funny how rebooting a win* box solves most problems and
rebooting a *nix box causes more :) wonder why that is.

nate