Re: Making choices with a script

Hi, cameron, nice question; dialog is a really cool program - but rather
than tell you exactly how to run it, I recommend you look in
file:/usr/doc/dialog-0.X/samples  (X being whichever version you
have)  --dialog runs from a script and this directory contains some
examples of how to call it...NOTE: you should have at least a rudimentary
grasp of shell scripting to use it...also, there are a few odd quirks: for
example, be careful about offering items on a menu that is called from
something like .bash_login - for reasons that are a little beyond me, this
sometimes causes hangs in other programs later on in the session,
particularly when starting, for example, mc ...which means that the shell
is essentially rendered useless for some things... better to offer it as a
command like "menu", then it seems to exit gracefully.
  anyway, the best way to learn how to use it is to just cp the example
to ~/ and change some stuff, then fire 'em up and see what you got ;-).
stycl,
erik
"perserverance furthers..-i ching"

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000,
Cameron Matheson wrote: > How do I use dialog? >  > Thanks, > Cameron
Matheson >  >  >  >  > "Allan M. Wind" wrote: > >  > > On 2000-02-29
00:36:11, Cameron Matheson wrote: > >  > > > I'm trying to make script
that asks you what you want to do (and then > > > echo's a list of
choices), but I need to know what the command would be > > > (like DOS's
choice) to prompt the user, and how to use it. > >