gcc problem

I got a problem with gcc I don't understand and I don't know how it got
there. I'm using Slink with 2.2.14 kernel. Whenever I try to compile a
kernel... there's an error, I can't recall which one, I just gave up
compiling a new kernel and continued with this one, worked ok.
But now I've downloaded some source code which I'm trying to compile, when
trying to compile it became clear to me that something was defenately
wrong: I got the error that gcc couldn't write any executables...
HELP!!!

Ron