Re: win98 on top of linux - consequences?

nate@firetrail.com said:

> HOWEVER it can remove lilo (and usually does) so keep a rescue disk handy
> if you use lilo to reinstall once win98 overwrites the bootsector.

I think what it usually tries to do is make the win98 partition the bootable
partition.  You can use your rescue disk and cfdisk to reset the bootable
partition to your linux root partition.

I think you also need to worry about where you put your win98 partition (it
has to be on the bootable part of the hard disk, I believe).

If you can afford it, I've always found a whole new disk to work best for
Windows.  If (when) you have to re-install, you don't want to have to go
through the headache of rescue disk/cfdisk again...

Another option might be to just use vmware which lets you create your win98
disk image in a file on a ext2 partition.

rgds-- TA  (tallard@frb.gov)
I don't speak for the Federal Reserve Board, it doesn't speak for me.