Re: tif/jpg conversion to postscript

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> I have a whole lot of old magazine articles in a mix of TIF and JPG format
> -- one file per page. The provided viewer software for this is an awful
> Windows program, so I want to convert them to PDF.
[...]
> Anyone know a better way?

Maybe the netpbm package helps you (graphics/netpbm). Each program
takes each file, process it (how depends on program) and sends it to
stdout. This is what I do to convert a large number of gifs to a pdf:
(using bash)

for fil in *.gif; do
    if [ ! -e ${fil}.eps ]; then
        echo ${fil}:
	giftopnm $fil | pnmtops -noturn | gzip -9c > ${fil}.eps.gz;
    fi;
done

Then I use ps2pdf from gs-aladdin.

HTH.

--
( GnuPG/PGP key @ www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/    !    Wei Wu Wei    )
( U2MoL, Roleplaying, LaTeX, Emacs/Gnus, etc.       ! To Do Without Do )