RE: Upgrading libc6 from slink to potato (no network!)

From: cjw44@cam.ac.uk [mailto:cjw44@cam.ac.uk]

> Paul.Moore@uk.origin-it.com (Moore, Paul) wrote:
> >Aargh. In order to run dhcpcd on 2.2.14, I need the version from
> >unstable (frozen, I guess). But that depends on the unstable version
> >of libc6, which depends on the unstable version of debianutils, which
> >depends on the unstable version of libc6....
> >
> >If I force an install of debianutils, the libc6 install fails on the
> >preinit script, with no indication of why.
>
> libc6 has just been fixed. From the changelog:
>
>   * Pre-Depends were a bad idea
>     - quit using readlink.
>     - removed pre-depends on debianutils.
>
> When 2.1.3-5 hits your nearest mirror, do the download.

Yahoo! This worked fine. I have now upgraded to kernel 2.2.14, with the
latest pcmcia-modules and dhcpcd, and the machine picks up a network address
fine - straight "out of the box" install.

Thanks for all the help,
Paul.

PS I still have another problem with SAMBA/NMBD, but that's for a separate
message...