Re: 2.1 kernel troubles

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 09:16:49PM -0700, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I upgraded my kernel from 2.0.36 to 2.1.  Unfortunately, can no longer
> get on the internet.  When  I type 'pon', it gives me a long message
> on that /usr/sbin/pppd won't work, because my kernel lacks PPP support
> (or the module is not loaded).  I'm pretty sure I have PPP built into
> the kernel, but it may be a module, and all the modules fail to load.
> Please help me,

Well, if you're going to upgrade your kernel from the 2.0 series, you
might as well go to the 2.2 series (latest is 2.2.14). It is the second
number that indicates stable vs. unstable branches. The 2.1 series is
the precursor to the stable 2.2 (even 2nd digit == stable).

Next, you have to make sure you compiled ppp support into the kernel or
as a module.  If it's a module, you should have
/lib/modules/<kernel>/net/ppp.o . You can also grep your .config in the
top level of your kernel tree for CONFIG_PPP:

$ cat .config | grep ^CONFIG_PPP

m = module, y = yes, n = no

Note: that pppd error can mean lots of things, but check your bases
first. If that's all hunky-dory, let us know.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |