Re: Why is dictd so large?

On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 at 10:15:26AM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> Dylan Paul Thurston <dpt@math.berkeley.edu> writes:
>
> > After upgrading to unstable, I noticed that dictd seems to be rather
> > excessively large: it's taking up 8 megabytes at the moment.  Is this
> > normal?  (I have all the free dictionaries installed.)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > 	Dylan Thurston
> >
> > (Please CC: me on replies.)
>

>      According to my build directory, the entire dictd package, source
> + binaries, totals 752 kb.  The combined installed size of the two
> .debs is about 453 kb.  I have just checked the archives, and this
> .debs on master are the same size as those in my build directory.

Oops, I forgot to say that I was talking about memory usage.  Here's
the output of top:

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT  LIB %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
26313 nobody     0   0  8600 8600  7692 S       0  0.0  8.9   0:00 dictd

It's the second largest process on my system, second only to XF86.

Thanks,
	Dylan Thurston